- Heijne, Bas. "Een Vlinder Ontketent
een Storm." NRC Handelsblad (March 15, 1991): CS Literair 6.
- Dudar, Helen. "Publishing: the Powers
Parfait." Wall Street Journal (August 14, 1991): A8 (W); A6
- Baker, John F., and Sybil S. Steinberg.
"PW Interviews: Richard Powers." Publishers Weekly 238
(August 16, 1991): 37-38. Profile. Included in Steinberg's Writing For Your Life, 1992. p. 411.
- Romano, Carlin. "Brainiest Young Star of
Fiction." Philadelphia Inquirer (September 6, 1991): 1D+.
Interview with Powers on appearance of GBV.
- McGonigle, Thomas. "Going Dutch."
Newsday (July 28, 1992): 28. Interview with Powers and rev. of
- Stites, Janet. "Bordercrossings: a
Conversation in Cyberspace." Omni 16 (November, 1993):
38-40+. Author Richard Powers, chemistry professor Jay Labinger, and literary critic N. Katherine Hayes discuss the changing relations between science and literature. The electronic mail discussion included topics such as the different approaches to the understanding of science and the humanities
- Berube, Michael. "Urbana Renewal."
Village Voice 40.23 (June 6, 1995): SS8-SS10. Title also
given as "I and i: Will the Real Richard Powers Please Stand Up?".
Interview with Richard Powers, and with richard powers (of Galatea 2.2)
- Smith, Wes. "Hidden Talent."
Chicago Tribune (July 5, 1995): Tempo 1-2.
- Greenman, Ben. "Topic of Cancer"
Time Out New York (May 28-June 4, 1998): 62. Interview with
Powers about Gain.
- Birkerts, Sven. "Richard Powers."
BOMB, (Summer 1998): 58-63. Interview.
- Unsigned. "Everybody's Business."
City Pages (Minneapolis-St. Paul). (June 24, 1998): 31-32.
Interview with Powers about Gain.
- Cryer, Dan. "Talking With Richard
Powers: The Master of Contrasts." Newsday (July 26, 1998): B11.
- Tortorello, Michael.
"Richard Powers: Industrial
Evolution." Rain Taxi (no date). Interview with Powers,
focusing generally, but not exclusively, on Gain.
- Miller, Laura.
Salon Interview: Richard Powers." Salon (July 1998).
- Neilson, Jim.
"An Interview with Richard Powers." Review of Contemporary
Fiction 18.3 (Fall 1998): 13-23.
- Williams, Jeffrey.
Generalist: An Interview with Richard Powers." Cultural Logic.
2.2 (Spring 1999). Excellent interview with good biographical detail on
Powers, from his years in Bangkok as a teenager through the writing of
Plowing the Dark.
- Riley, John Erik. "En Pasjonert
Tragikk." Vinduet (Oslo) (Volume 52) (1999). Also appears
in a slightly different form online as
"En optimistisk pessimist." Standart (V. 99, n. 2) An
interview with Powers, in Norwegian, around the time of the European
publication of Gain.
- Morrow, Bradford and Walter Abish.
American Fiction: States of the Art. Annandale-on-Hudson,
N.Y. : Bard College, 2000. Includes
between Richard Powers and Bradford Morrow. 481 p. ISBN: 0941964507.
Published also as no. 34 of Conjunctions.
- Quinn, Brad. "Soap Opera." City
Beat (Cincinnati). (January 27-February 2, 2000): 44.
- Birkerts, Sven.
"The Esquire Conversation: Richard Powers and Sven Birkerts."
Esquiremag.com. (July 2000). Discussion of the ideas behind
Plowing the Dark.
- Hendricks, Jefferson. "Richard Powers:
On the Novel in the Digital Age." Poets & Writers. 28.4
(July/August 2000): 26-32. Interview with Powers covering early years,
the nature of fiction, Plowing the Dark, and reading and teaching.
Includes excerpt from Plowing the Dark. Two photos by Heather Conley.
- Blume, Harvey.
"Two Geeks On Their Way To Byzantium: A Conversation With Richard
Powers." Atlantic Unbound. (July 28 2000). Explores the
use of the computer as motif in Powers' work.
- Flanders, Judith. "The Greatest Author
You've Never Heard Of." The Daily Telegraph (UK). (April 21,
- Drew, Emily.
"Richard Powers Visits Davidson With Insights on Intersection of Science
and Liberal Arts." Davidson News & Events. (November 6,
2001). Available on the web at . Excellent account, with photos, of
Powers's visit to Davidson College, where he gave lectures and
interviews over a span of three days. Drew's interview with Powers is
interspersed with narrative accounts of the various seminars and
- Sonntags Zeitung (March 24,
2002). Interview with Powers over Plowing the Dark.
- Steinfeld, Thomas.
"Analoges Leben: Der Schriftsteller Richard Powers über Schreiben und
Programmieren." Suddeutsche Zeitung (June 17 2002). Interview with Powers.
- Kemper, Hella. "Neues Von Morgen Schon
Heute." Welt (Hamburg). (June 20, 2002).
- Biesel, Elke. "Besuch in Van Goghs
Zimmer." Kölner Stadt-Anzeiger (June 21, 2002).
- Anonymous. "Wir Spielen Schöpfer."
Frankfurter Rundschau (June 22, 2002): 34. Interview with Powers
about Plowing the Dark.
- Kunckel, Susanne. "Endstation
Cyberspace." Welt am Sonntag (June 23, 2002). Feature and
interview with Powers about Plowing the Dark.
- Baumgärtel, Tilman. "Digitalisiertes
Erzählen." Die Tagesspiegel (June 26, 2002).
- "Braving Racism in Mid-Century
America." The Bookseller (UK) (January 10, 2003): 30.
- Foley, Dylan, "On Race and Family."
Newark Star-Ledger (January 19, 2003): 10.4.
- Eakin, Emily,
Author as Science Guy." The New York Times (February 18,
- Brocks, Emma,
"Magic Powers." The Guardian (UK) (March 14, 2003): G2
- Wolinksy, Richard,
Interview KPFA "Bookwaves" (April 24, 2003). Interview on "The Time of Our Singing."
- Berger, Kevin, "The Art of Fiction
CLXXV: Richard Powers." The Paris Review 164 (Winter, 2003).
Read a short
excerpt from the interview.
- Fuller, Randall, "An Interview With
Richard Powers." The Missouri Review v.XXVI no. 1 (2003): 97-113.
Wide-ranging interview including statements by Powers about his own
views of the purpose of his fiction, its structural components, and its
place within the narrative tradition.
- Keller, Julia,
"Arts and Sciences." The Chicago Tribune (March 4, 2004):
Section 2, Page 1.
- Rossi, Umberto, “Richard Powers: Il
romanziere transatlantico”, Pulp Libri #49, May-June 2004,
"Q and A Richard Powers: The high-IQ author crafts a literal brainteaser
in his new novel." Time Out New York (September 13,
- Lyons, Stephen J., "His
Muse Lives in the Midwest." Chicago Sun-Times
(October 1, 2006)
- Owens, Jill, "Richard
Powers's Narrative Impulse." Powells.com n.d. (October,
- Silberman, Steve, "Scientific
Fiction." Wired (November, 2006). p. 090
- Lyons, Stephen J. "The
Genius in the Cornfield." Chicago Reader. (November 3, 2006).
Interview focusing on The Echo Maker, but venturing into questions about
technology. Photo by Jason Lindsey.
- Freeman, John, "Richard
Powers." Saint Louis Post-Dispatch (November 19, 2006)
Reprinted in various places, including an expanded version in
The Independent (UK) (December 15, 2006) And The Australian
(December 23, 2006)
- Berger, Kevin, "The
Presence of Mind." The Los Angeles Times (December 10,
- Gross, Terry, "Richard
Powers" Fresh Air, National Public Radio (December 12, 2006)
- Pierleoni, Allen, "Life
Science." Sacramento Bee (December 18, 2006) p. E2
- Michod, Alec, "Richard
Powers" The Believer (February 2007) p. 64
- Pellegrin, Jean-Yves, "Only
the Conversation Matters." European Journal of American Studies,
EJAS-1 (April 27, 2007)
- Muntendorf, Caroline, "Operational Wondering"
mono.kultur #12 (June and
July, 2007). An issue of the German literary magazine devoted to a long
interview with Powers.
- Daio Keli, "The Human Race is Still a Work in
Progress: an Interview with Richard Powers." Foreign Literature
Studies (Wuhan, China) vol. 29, #4 (August, 2007) pp. 1-6. English,
with Chinese annotations.
- Burn, Stephen J. "An Interview with Richard Powers."Contemporary Literature 49.2 (2008): 163-79.
- "Home: A Conversation with Richard Powers and Tom LeClair." Scott Hermanson, interviewer. Electronic Book Review, March, 2008. Available at http://www.electronicbookreview.com/thread/fictionspresent/corporate. Transcript of an event in 2005 at the University of Cincinnati, as part of the Ropes Lecture Series. "The conversation began as a moderated discussion and finished with questions from the audience."
- David, Thomas, "Komplexe Simulation ist was einen Roman ausmacht." Du, no. 798, July/ August 2009.
- Maus, Stephan, "Sinn macht mich glücklich." Der Stern, no. 41, 1 October 2009, pp.142-43.
- Alter, Alexandra. "A Dip in the Gene Pool: Richard Powers on his new novel 'Generosity'--and his own genetic code". The Wall Street Journal (October 2, 2009): W4. Brief interview with Powers on the novel, and how his own experiences with the frontiers of genetic science influenced the novel.
- Bonstein, Julia and Weingarten, Susanne. "Wissen kann unfrei machen." Spiegel Online, 14 October 2009.
- Studio360 radio interview with Powers on Generosity. October 23, 2009.
- Geisel, Sieglinde. "Wir sind die Autoren unserer Zukunft." Neue Züricher Zeitung, no. 265, 14 November 2009. Online version.
- BBC Radio 4 "Front Row" Interview. January 22, 2010.